An international power & gas company in Houston seeks a Commercial Operations Manager to support asset trading for generation assets primarily in the PJM, ISO-NE, NYISO, MISO, and ERCOT markets. The Commercial Operations team is a small, collaborative team responsible for optimizing power generation and maximizing profitability margins.
Responsibilities include a combination of analytics to support commercial decisions and asset management/trading:
- Work with plant operations, third-party energy managers, and fuel suppliers (intraday gas procurement) for optimal asset trading and optimization.
- Follow the daily physical/financial power markets. Research market prices, capacity markets, emissions/REC markets, and regulatory developments. Identify key market drivers and data points.
- Formulate short and long-term market views and forecast power prices to optimize asset trading and hedging decisions.
- Understand power market nuances that impact individual generation assets and the overall general portfolio.
- Support for the daily Day-Ahead bidding strategy and trade execution of power generation for natural gas-fired facilities in PJM, ISO-NE, and NYISO based on market conditions and the dynamics of the company’s market positions.
- Daily monitoring and reporting on the power plant activity.
- Developing processes/systems to support front-office operations required to optimize generation assets. Working across internal teams (front, middle, and back-office) to ensure transactions are captured in the third-party Risk Management (ETRM), Logistics, Finance, and Accounting Systems.
- Reporting on key commercial and operational metrics on generation portfolio.
- Review and manage project contract obligations.
- Undertake ad hoc tasks, including preparing commercial operations presentations.
Educational and Professional Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, finance, or a related field.
- 3+ years of experience working with conventional or renewable generation assets in a commercial operations role.
- Strong understanding and knowledge LMP-based wholesale power market (ideally experience with PJM, ISO-NE, NYISO, MISO, and/or ERCOT).
- Exposure to power trading, power generation, hedge strategy development for natural gas-fired generation assets, and natural gas markets.
- Exposure to renewable energy generation (wind, solar, and battery storage).
- Knowledge and experience with dispatch models is a plus.
- Proficient knowledge of commodity risk management analysis.
- Advanced skills in data analysis, advanced Excel, VBA, PowerPoint, and SQL. Experience with Python, R, MATLAB, C/C#/C++, JAVA are a plus.
Employees work a few days in the office and a few days remotely. Submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.