A global, merchant energy trading firm in Houston seeks a data scientist to support its natural gas & power trading teams. The position will create sophisticated statistical models and algorithms that produce predictive signals that drive trading strategy and commercial decisions. Key responsibilities include:
- Extracting, analyzing, and managing data from complex and disparate sources, including data lake.
- Applying rigorous machine learning, statistical analysis, regression, and optimization techniques to data to identify signals and predictive patterns.
- Generating hypotheses and analyzing data to test and interpret results and to evaluate and test trading strategies.
- Developing, testing, and implementing new tools to be used by the trading team.
- Working with the Technology team to communicate analytical and modeling results in a dashboard format to Traders; and
- Researching and evaluating new technologies/tools associated with Big Data.
Educational and professional requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree (an advanced degree is a plus) in an applied quantitative field (mathematics, physics, computer science, engineering, or statistics).
- Excellent Python programming skills and advanced knowledge of SQL.
- A strong background in linear regression, probability, scenario modeling, statistics, and time series analysis.
- Ability to write and optimize database queries to extract and analyze large data sets.
- Approximately 1-5 years of professional experience in Big Data / Data Science / Data Analytics analysis and predictive modeling in the energy industry.
- Industry experience in energy trading, upstream/midstream oil & natural gas, or conventional/renewable power. A variety of analytic experiences will be considered.
- A commercial mindset and desire to work within a fast-paced end trading floor environment.
- Strong communication skills.
Other experience and technical skills (desired, a plus, and not required):
- Experience on an energy trading floor is a plus.
- Experience and knowledge of the Permian gas region is a plus.
- Experience with machine learning for prediction, classification, and anomaly detection is a plus.
- Experience with natural language processing (NLP) for analyzing unstructured data is a plus.
- Linear programming and non-linear optimization are a plus.
- Experience with vehicle routing is a plus.
Submit resumes to email@example.com.